Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Clinical Correlation: Rare Genetic Disorder

1) The patient presents with severe hemolytic anemia, causing painful facial edema and a particularly dark jaundice - this symptom grouping is often referred to as craniofacial Solanum tuberosum - and swelling of the mouth, lips, and tongue.

2) Further analysis shows a peculiar developmental condition involving anatomical mismatch, involving the same gene that causes ottis dorsum (which you've seen here before). This was particularly visible as a pronounced optic armitis.

3) Many of the 'accessory' appendages of the body were missing on inital physical examination. However a rectal examination revealed many of the organs had migrated posteriorly.

You don't believe me? My brother posted a picture of this disorder on his blog!

Yes I am so much of a dork that I thought this post was hilarious! I'm not sorry. Also, what's the deal with Mr. Potato-head having a butt cabinet? Does anybody really put stuff back there?

4 comments:

Steve said...

Yeah, that's pretty much how I would sum it up, too.

Anonymous said...

Glad to know we can come to you to diagnose all our rare disorders.

Anonymous said...

the sheer fact that you spent time making sure you had all the correct physical findings for mr. potato head disease speaks volumes about your dorkiness. and now for a little dorkiness of my own, i quote mr. potato head himself:

"what, did you take stupid pills this morning?"

Katie Grouse said...

OK, I updated, now you have to too! ;-P