Sunday, January 28, 2007

2nd grade Essay, and Then SuperRant!

We have these writing prompts for one of my classes. Some are good, some are "meh", and this one...well I felt like I was doing a book report for Mrs. Snyder's class all over again. So, what did I do? I got super-wordy and soapbox-y. In my mind, if I'm using two dollar words it feels less like elementary school. Oh my tangled logic...
__________

5. Describe someone who personifies the humanistic practice of medicine. Why?

Albert Schweitzer is a role model who personifies the humanistic practice of medicine. Dr. Schweitzer championed the phrase “Reverence for Life”, where he encouraged us to give as much reverence for every creature’s will to live as we give our own. Similar in practice to the “Golden Rule” of treating others as you wish to be treated, “Reverence for Life” pushes beyond mere practice and encourages us to love and revere every creature in the same way that instinct compels us to love and revere ourselves.

Through “Reverence for Life” we learn altruism, and are compelled to serve others selflessly. Dr. Schweitzer lived his philosophy out by leaving his comfortable life in Europe, establishing a hospital in rural Africa, and spending a majority of his remaining life serving as a healer and caregiver to the least fortunate in the world. As shown in his following quote, Dr. Schweitzer viewed service as central to happiness and well-being.

“I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found a way to serve.” – A. Schweitzer

_____________

Albert Schweitzer really is a role model of mine, and for that very philosophy of Reverence for Life. My heart really wasn't in conveying that to whoever grades these "Reflections" though. Partly because there's much more to that whole philosophy.

The pursuit of selflessness is, well, a really romantic and idealistic idea. When the chips fall, we are all just looking out for ourselves and our progeny, right? In that case, Reverence for Life is a farce, a pipe dream, a bedtime story...right?

Wrong. Okay Right for most, but Wrong for me. Yes it is romantic, yes it is idealistic, but the idea is a valid one. Dr. Schweitzer did it, and thousands followed. Heck, med schools - fortresses of cold hard science - are making service part of their curriculum. The demand for service based learning is growing rapidly, and its because of romantic, idealist...students. I'm young, I have no family to care for, and I still kind of believe I'm invincible: I have no need for self interest, because I have no one to protect yet.

The hard part will be in 10 years when I have a job, a family, a mortgage, and I'm still paying of that !@#$% med school debt! Where is Reverence for Life then? Perhaps I'll just have to pack up my family of five and move to Haiti for a few years ;)



PS I do not advocate moving one's family to the third world. It doesn't make sense for most, but I guess that's part of the appeal, isn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who would ever do that... take 5 to Haiti or elsewhere? Only the crazies, but not the lazies.