Wednesday, January 17, 2007

One Month Plus Passes...

I see that button on the toolbar - "blogger.com" - tens of times per day, whenever I open a webpage. I think to myself "I really need to get a post in soonHey look at that over there!", then I'm off on a new tangent.

I don't talk enough to my blog recently, because I tend only to turn to it when I'm socially needy (Why go outside and meet people when you can just write on the online?). The convergence of 1. winter break and 2. realizing that I really need to be more outgoing already has left behind a poor, lonely little blog. So do I choose healthy social behavior or digital journaling.....I choose both.

I mean...I kind of...well...I will choose both. You see, a big reason I'm even writing a post right now is that I'm lonely and I miss my Katie. I saw her this past weekend when I drove her to the airport so she could spend the week in Honduras. She is going on a short-term mission trip with her church, and is completely cut off from civilization...well, from me at least. We usually talk on the phone each night, recounting in minute detail the day we had (this is what I ate, this is where I went, and he said, and I said I just don't see why...etc). Sounds dull, but its not. Its all we have.

So, I'm here now because my girlfriend is in a third world country. But I want to change how I approach the blog. Maybe resolve to write once every weekend ... less about my week and all that, and more posts about medicine and school in general.

Here's the thought process: I like writing...kind of. I'm very fond of medicine. Last semester I did a project about "Narrative Medicine" a fanci-fied word for focusing on the Narratives we find in Medicine. Narratives include the stories of patients, the stories of doctors, and the stories of students (i.e. me). I have a writing platform...a "blog" as it were...why not venture into some narration.

Here's the admission of guilt: I have some writing assignments I have to do this semester for a medical humanities class. I'm kind of twobirdswithonestone-ing here in that I can fulfill the writing assignments and be a better blogger at the same time.

What, you've never heard the term twobirdswithonestone-ing???

No comments: