Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Part 2: Bring on the Biochem!

I got up ridiculously late again, but really why not? It's not like I have a job or anything...

Yesterday's anatomy exam was very similar to the previous one, and I feel the same as I did for the first one. But now anatomy is done forever. I got kind of nostalgic about the whole thing last night (thus the sappy haiku writing), and starting running through my mind all of the stuff I will never see or do again.

Anatomy lab was surreal. It flies in the face of social taboos, mostly those related to "don't ever ______ to a dead body". Why are we punk kids so special that society is willing to overlook these offenses? Because we're responsible for the lives of your kids, parents, and loved ones (no pressure).

The lab was in many ways a museum. Not in the way that museums have boring exhibits and smell weird. Rather, the things they hold are irreplaceable. You can't just go out and buy what we were privy to - both the dissecting experience, and all of the skeletons, skulls, and organ models - and in some cases, nobody can.

For instance, our institution owns a human head dissection that is so old it is preserved in motor oil (no embalming back then). "They" removed the brain without damaging any of the inner skull - its hard to explain why this is an important learning tool, but it is. Because of its age and difficulty of dissection, there is probably no other dissection of it's kind, and now that I'm out of anatomy I'll never see it again. That's exactly what I was thinking during my anatomy practical when I was looking into this skull trying to identify what "tag A" was attached to.

I sound like a museum tour guide. Anyway, I was feeling nostalgic about anatomy yesterday. Today is all about biochemistry though. Well that and blogging. Really, this is all I'm doing this week!

Note about the sleeping: I am working on getting up earlier by Friday. CTS exam is at 9am, so I definitely need to be awake before 10 that day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could get up at 10 on Friday, but then you'd just have to guess what the slides were :) I'll miss anatomy too, in a way...(but not biochem). Good luck motivating yourself to study. CTS is calling my name, but I think I'll leave in my earplugs for a while longer.